Re: unknown device tikzstandalone

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: unknown device tikzstandalone
Date: Sun, 06 May 2018 21:55:22 -0700

> On May 6, 2018, at 8:30 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Sorry I sent a mail without revising.
> Please ignore the first post
>
> I have filed a bug (Feature Request).
>  http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53847
>
> Title
>  tikzstandalone support for octave for winodws (gnuplot embeded with octave)
>

> However,
>
> Using external gnuplot that has lua/tikz terminal

>>> gnuplot_binary C:\Programs\gp523-64\bin\gnuplot
>>> graphics_toolkit gnuplot
>>> fplot ("[cos(x), sin(x)]", [0, 2*pi])
>>> print("test.tikz", "-dtikzstandalone")
> error: print: unknown device tikzstandalone
> error: called from
>     __print_parse_opts__ at line 259 column 5
>     print at line 322 column 8
>
>>> print("test.tikz", "-dtikz")
> ## works for tikz but not tikzstandalone
>

> I executed the same test on 4.4.0 on Ubuntu 16.04 (build myself).
>
> The same error appears
>    error: print: unknown device tikzstandalone
>
> However in  the manual of 4.4,
> https://octave.org/doc/interpreter/Printing-and-Saving-Plots.html#Printing-and-Saving-Plots
>
> In the print device,
>
> tikz
> tikzstandalone
>   Generate a LaTeX file using PGF/TikZ format.
>   The OpenGL-based toolkits create a PGF file while Gnuplot creates a TikZ
> file.
>   The ‘tikzstandalone’ device produces a LaTeX document which includes the
> TikZ file
>   (‘tikzstandalone’ and is only available for the Gnuplot graphics toolkit).
>

> There seems to exist tikz but not tikzstandalone
>
> Is this a known issue?
>
> Tatsuro

I expect I wrote the original support for tikzstandalone. The approach was to
produce both a tex-file and a tikz-file. The tikz-file came from gnuplot. Gl2ps
was able to generate a pgf-file, but that never worked for me. Since then there
has been changes to the standalone output and the gnuplot backend. During those
changes, the tikzstandalone must have been broken/disabled.

There is a function print.m:latex_standalone() whos handle is passed into
__opengl_print__.m and __gnuplot_print__.m as part of the “opts” structure. The
approach that was intended to be used for tkzstandalone with gnuplot is
essentially equivelent to what is implemented for opengl (I haven’t tested
tikzstandalone with opengl, but I expect it works).

Ben