Re: Octave Code Sharing

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: Octave Code Sharing
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 14:18:37 -0700 (MST)

Sahil wrote
> Hello all
>
> Kai T. Ohulus, in particular, I wanted to express my interest in the GSoC
> project  Octave Code Sharing
> <https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Octave_code_sharing>
>
> for which you're the potential mentor. I apologize for mailing at a such
> late timing (given only two days are left for the application deadline),
> but
> I would try to manage the proposal.
>
> I would kindly request you to elaborate a bit about the project, i.e, what
> exactly is the motive of the project, do we need to come up with
> agora.octave.org on similar grounds as those of Scipy central or do we
> need
> to amend the existing  publish function
> <https://rawgit.com/siko1056/Octconf2017/master/octconf2017-publish-ohlhus-slides.pdf#page=8>
>
> ? I would revert back to you ASAP for the matter.
>
> Looking forward in anticipation.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Sahil
> <batterylow>
>  on IRC
>
> PS: A few days back, I tried conveying on the
> mailing list
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2018-03/msg00203.html>
>  as well as on IRC
> channel for questions related to the project, GUI property inspector, but
> since noone replied (and no mentor assigned) I felt a bit demotivated
> about
> my GSoC participation and all other work which I've done until now in
> Octave. So I would like to take up this project as first preference and
> keeping the other one as backup instead.

Dear Sahil,

Thank you for your interest.  I do not think, that it is a good idea to
switch over to a project with a mentor right at the deadline, just because
what really bothers you (GUI property inspector) has none.  Maybe it is a
lesson for us not to list projects without any mentor from the very
beginning [1].  It is not likely, that you'll find one for the GUI property
inspector here the next few hours.

Regarding the project I figured out last year was to "misuse" the
possibilities of MediaWiki to easily store Octave functions and scripts
(including MediaWiki's version control and nice builtin code presentation)
by using "publish" and "grabcode" from GNU Octave to
https://wiki.octave.org.

The major work of this project was to "teach" Octave the RESTful web service
functions [2] (especially cookies using libcurl or alike).  The syntax
highlighting etc. is already included into GNU Octave and the MediaWiki
part.  There is NO need to establish a new website (e.g. Agora)  Due to the
lack of interest I felt also demotivated to update the project outline
recently.

What I see is that you really tried to get involved with Octave since a few
months, but as our direct contact starts right at the GSoC deadline, I do
not feel very encouraged to start this project this year with you.  Do you
have other alternatives at other projects as well?

Best,
Kai

[1]
https://wiki.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas&diff=prev&oldid=10604