Re: GUI variable editor patch pushed and some help needed

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: GUI variable editor patch pushed and some help needed
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 20:01:13 +0200

Torsten wrote:
On 23.08.2017 09:37, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
John W. Eaton wrote
I pushed a patch for a GUI variable editor:

https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8656

This change is the work of a number of people including RĂ¼diger
Sonderfeld, Philip Nienhuis, and Michael Barnes.

It seems to work, but I think there is a lot more to be done before it
is really finished.  But, as I said on the patch tracker, I went ahead
and pushed this addition now instead of waiting until the patch is
"perfect" because in my experience, waiting for that will mean that the
patch will never be pushed.

Currently, when starting Octave with no qt-settings file, I see the
variable editor window placed to the right of the command window, not
inside of the tabbed widget that contains the terminal, code editor, and
doc browser widgets.

You're right, but on my boxes (mainly Windows) the variable Editor pane used
to be stretched along the bottom of the Octave window below all other panes,
rather than to the right of them.

I'll post a few more known Variable Editor issues to the bug tracker the
next days (no fear, there aren't that many AFAIK).

Great tool!

Concerning the placing of the widget: I think that the initial window
layout is also stored in the default qt-settings file, which is created
in case no qt-settings are found. Maybe we can drop this, I will have a
look at it.

Another thing that had better be fixed right away is the default "Autofit by ..." = on setting in the Variable Editor settings tab in (Preferences pane). With that option set, populating the VarEd pane with somewhat larger matrices is going to take an awfully long time.

I've been using the variable Editor quite a lot for more than 2 years and had adapted various setting in my qt-settings files so I forgot the rough edges. Now that John mentioned it I remember those again :-/

Philip