Re: ov.h fast_elem_insert

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: ov.h fast_elem_insert
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 15:06:10 -0700 (PDT)

Ožbolt Menegatti wrote
> Hello!
>
> in ov.h inside interpreter, why is fast_elem_insert implemented as a
> virtual method - by my knowledge no class inherits octave_value. This also
> creates a virtual table for octave_value and makes octave_value twice the
> size (instead of the size of one pointer, it is the size of two pointers).
>
> Ps. this is my first time writing to a technical mailing list, so please
> forgive any wrongdoing.

Interesting catch. All the inheritance happens within "octave_value"s
representation `rep` attribute of type "octave_base_value". The method
"fast_elem_insert" was added seven years ago [1] and since then not really
changed. You suggest to just delete that keyword? How did you spot this one,
you noticed performance issues or alike?

Kai.

[1]: https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/654fbde5dceb