Re: Eliminating Singleton Objects

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Eliminating Singleton Objects
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 13:04:10 +0200

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 03:43:20PM -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> One question is what should happen to DEFUN functions called using feval?
> We can provide an interpreter::feval method that can pass a pointer to the
> interpreter object, but the current feval function would not do that.  Is
> this a problem for existing user code

Probably yes, at least potentially.  In remote execution with the
'parallel' package, each command is executed with Octaves eval_string
function.  The remotely executed command can principally call any
function in any package, so it may call a package function which is
already revised to access the loadpath via this planned pointer to the
interpreter.

With the planned changes to the 'parallel' package, this will also
affect local (multicore) parallel execution in some cases.

But this issue only means that these functions in the affected
packages can't be parallelized in clusters.  They should still work
outside parallelization.  So I'd see no problem if we have to wait a
bit for a changed eval_string function in Octaves development branch.

Of course there may be further problems with existing package code
that I'm currently not aware of.

Olaf