Re: Better name for cruft directory

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Better name for cruft directory
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 22:34:47 -0500

On 04/21/2017 09:59 PM, Rik wrote:
All,

In liboctave/ there is the directory cruft/ which contains a library of
Fortran code.  In the spirit of meaningful variable names, can we rename
this to something better?  I'm open to suggestions.  One idea is libfortran
since the code is compiled into a convenience library by autotools just as
libinterp, liboctave, and libgui are.

--Rik

The following directories have non-Fortran code:

Faddeeva
--------
Some C++ code (actually may be C code that can be compiled as either) related to only erf() functions. It has a fairly recent copyright of 2012, so I assume it must be used in some way, as fallback code or something. Could this go in some other directory? I know there has been a lot of development around erf so maybe there is a more logical place.

Misc
----
quit.cc,quit.h: Is Octave code, very short. Seems an odd place for quit-related code to be since there is probably a lot of start/quit code elsewhere.

cquit.c: Again, Octave code, very short. Could probably combine quit.cc and cquit.c into one file in some way.

lo-error.c,lo-error.h: Here's a comment written in this files: /* Having this file in this directory is a kluge to avoid unresolved symbol errors when creating shared versions of libcruft. */

f77-fcn.c,f77-fcn.h,blaswrap.c,f77-extern.cc: C code but it's purpose is to accommodate Fortran.

Moving Faddeeva directory, misc/quit.cc, misc/quit.h, misc/cquit.c, misc/lo-error.c, and misc/lo-error.h would make everything in the liboctave/cruft directory Fortran related, and mostly math related (directory name "fortmath" perhaps?).

Dan