Re: ar: `u' modifier ignored during linking

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: ar: `u' modifier ignored during linking
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 14:13:42 -0400

On 04/15/2017 01:31 PM, Rik wrote:
On 04/14/2017 03:53 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 04/14/2017 05:11 PM, Rik wrote:
4/14/17

I'm getting these annoying message every time a link is done during the
build process.

Yes, I've been seeing them for quite some time now, since whenever Debian
testing starting having bunutils built so that it generates the warning.
I've been hoping that automake or gnulib would fix the problem for us
eventually.  That seems like the right place for the fix rather than
having every package that uses automake do something to silence the warning.

I don't have much hope for them fixing this upstream anytime soon.  The
original problem was reported in 10/2014.  There are a now a lot of people
on the stable Debian/Ubuntu 16.04/Mint 18.XX code base who may not see an
update of autotools for 3-5 years.  That's a long time to have this
confusing warning hanging around.

Separately, I developed nearly the same patch as Mike M. to silence this
warning.  I checked it in here
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/b5ee9b985a82.

OK, thanks.