Re: GSoC 2017 - Implement boolean operations on polygons

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: GSoC 2017 - Implement boolean operations on polygons
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2017 07:13:05 -0700 (PDT)

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 8:26 AM, piyushjain <

> piyushjain1sa@

> > wrote:
>> Sir,
>> Can you tell me what should I keep studying or learning meanwhile, to
>> contribute optimally to this project?
>>

>> --
>>
> Hi,
>
> We are reviewing your proposal.
> I think that you have to consider that your job will be to integrate
> at least one other library for polygon clipping (Philip added Clipper
> already).
>
> - The priority number 1 would be to clean up the Boost one done by Amir
> https://bitbucket.org/amr_keleg/octave-geometry
>
> we would like to have all those functions and tests in geometry.

(repeating myself here, just for completeness)
* Currently it doesn't compile anymore with latest dev Octave;
* It has only basic error catching and input validation;
* It only builds with a Boost version 1.60 that (AFAIU) doesn't support
self-intersection. However, it should not depend on a specific Boost version
at all as long as that is sufficiently recent;
* John Swensen mentioned that the latest Boost versions (1.63+) have some
problems with self-intersection (see elsewhere in this thread).

> - Second option is to make clipper oct based instead of mex, but this
> is not so high priority.

.. and I am already relatively far in that conversion, incl.
Z-interpolation.
That project of mine has been silent for some time; to get Clipper into the
latest geometry release we had to resort to the .mex version.
There's another attempt at an .oct file out there but as it stands it looks
quite basic to me.
IMO the .oct file should really be no more than an interface between
.m-files (easily maintainable) and the Clipper library proper (just two C++
source files).

BTW The Clipper folks (developer and Clipper fans) claim that it does handle
self-intersection but I didn't test that. As it is in geometry-3.0.0 now
that claim should be easy to verify.

Philip