Re: Project Infrastructure

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Project Infrastructure
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 11:20:47 +0200

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 02:50:59PM -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> It's not only about where it is hosted, or whether they are hosted and
> developed together, but about whether having what appears to be a single web
> site will provide a better experience for users.  People used to be
> constantly confused by having both Octave and Octave Forge projects. Were
> they the same?  Different?  Was Octave Forge a different version of Octave?
> Why aren't the Octave sources on Octave Forge?  Why can't I find packages on
> the Octave site.  Etc.
>
> For the users, I think it would be good if we had a single web site, where
> everything appears under the same domain name.

I can't imagine that the domain name alone will be decisive. It is
common that sites have different domain names for different tasks.

I think what you actually propose is dropping the web identity 'Octave
Forge'? -- Pracically meaning, among others, that its home page would
disappear, and only some of its subpages would survive in a changed
form, being linked to directly from the Octave homepage or a
'packages' subpage?

Olaf