Re: Integrating Pytave and Nnet

From: Abhinav Tripathi
Subject: Re: Integrating Pytave and Nnet
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 11:30:35 +0530

On Mar 21, 2017 3:48 AM, "Enrico Bertino" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> in recent weeks I have been working on the package nnet, analyzing different ways to integrate Tensorflow in order to develop the deep learning part in a more powerful manner. The most effective way seems to be using Pytave for direct calling python functions and scripts. There should be no big problems for objects mapping since neural networks treat mostly low dimensional arrays. This week I will test some cases with 4D arrays and basic networks.
>
> Only two questions:
> I heard that the package would have to be integrated into the core removing the dependence from boost, is it still the case?

Yes. It is planned to remove the boost dependency and also to integrate into core.

> I saw that there is no documentation for the integration of python in octave (but only for the other "direction"). I suppose that there is some work in progress, is it possible to have some information on what will be implemented?

Well, there isn't enough documentation but I think that calling octave from python is not tested for some time now. While you can easily call python from octave using 'pycall' or 'pyeval'. New syntaxes using 'py.*' are also supported. Just download the pytave source, build it, add it in octave's path and those functions will be available. You can see the tests in the source code to get to know how to use the functions.

> In any case thank you to the maintainers, I find the package quite useful! I'll be glad to report bugs or help to fix if needed

That would be great!

> Best Regards,
> Enrico Bertino

Regards,