Re: Algorithmic Differentiation (Using a C++ library)

From: Brad Bell
Subject: Re: Algorithmic Differentiation (Using a C++ library)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2017 16:34:43 -0700

What is the advantage of re-programming Taylor arithmetic in Octave as apposed to using
    CppAD::AD< IntervalType >
where IntervalType is a C++ interval type ?

On 03/08/2017 01:27 PM, Joel Dahne wrote:
... snip ...
Hi,

One way to implement automatic differentiation would be to do it with
Taylor arithmetic. For single variable functions this would allow for
computing arbitrarily order derivatives in an effective way. It can also
be generalized to multi-variable functions but I am not sure how much
work this is (though two variables should be no problem). This also fits
nicely with Olivers idea of integrating it with the interval
package. Taylor expansions are very suitable for evaluation with
integrals, one example of this can be found in [1]. Adding that
functionality to Octave would allow for very powerful interval methods.

I have created a proof-of-concept implementation of Taylor arithmetic
which is available at GitHub, [2]. So far it implements a constructor
and some basic operations, +, -, .*, ./, exp, log, .^, sin and cos. As
of yet there is no functions to actually make use of the result. It is
meant to work with the interval package and should then generate
guaranteed results.

I would be very interested in continuing this work as a
GSoC-student. Especially I am interested it developing it alongside the
interval package, it is in this environment I have used Taylor
arithmetic it before.

Regards,
Joel Dahne

[1] http://www2.math.uni-wuppertal.de/~xsc/preprints/prep_05_4.pdf