Re: wiki windows installation page

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: wiki windows installation page
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 18:04:57 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----

> From: Nicholas Jankowski
> To: octave-maintainers
> Date: 2017/2/18, Sat 03:49
> Subject: wiki windows installation page
>
> After a user fumbled through installing two outdated versions of
> Octave because they insisted on following scattered instructions, I
> updated the info on the Wiki [1] for v4,2.0 (it still had 4.0.3 as the
> most recent version).  Two questions:
>
> 1 - Is it necessary to move cygwin instructions under the 4.2.0
> section? If so, can they just be moved from the 4.0.3 section or does
> antyhing need to be changed?
>
> 2 - Windows zip version includes both octave.bat and octave.vbs.  I
> think the .vbs was added as a part of bug # 41074 [2].  Is there a
> particular reason to tell the user to make a shortcut to one or the
> other?
>
> [1] http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Microsoft_Windows
> [2] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41074
>
> Nick J.

Thank for the update for octave 4.2.0 for windows.

1. Cygwin version octave is also updated to 4.2.0.
Marco is a maintainer Cygwin version octave  so I will add his address in reply
list.

2. Shortcut made by octave installer now uses octave.vbs but not octave.bat.
Perhaps there is no definite reason why tell the user to make shortcut to
octave.vbs
for zip archive.

Tatsuro