Re: --with-cxsparse-includedir option is ignored

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: --with-cxsparse-includedir option is ignored
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 09:11:06 -0800 (PST)

c. wrote
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build Octave 4.2 on a machine with Scientific Linux release
> 6.6 (Carbon).
> This machine uses an environmental modules system therefore many
> libraries, including SuiteSparse
> are installed in non-standard locations.
>
> I am configuring with
>
>   ../configure <...> \
>                --with-colamd-includedir=$mkSuitesparseInc \
>                --with-colamd-libdir=$mkSuitesparseLib \
>                --with-amd-libdir=$mkSuitesparseLib \
>                --with-amd-includedir=$mkSuitesparseInc \
>                --with-camd-libdir=$mkSuitesparseLib \
>                --with-camd-includedir=$mkSuitesparseInc \
>                --with-cholmod-libdir=$mkSuitesparseLib \
>                --with-cholmod-includedir=$mkSuitesparseInc \
>                --with-ccolamd-includedir=$mkSuitesparseInc \
>                --with-ccolamd-libdir=$mkSuitesparseLib  \
>                --with-cxsparse-libdir=$mkSuitesparseLib \
>                --with-cxsparse-includedir=$mkSuitesparseInc \
>                --with-umfpack-includedir=$mkSuitesparseInc \
>                --with-umfpack-libdir=$mkSuitesparseLib
>
> The configure phase fails with the following message:
>
>   checking for cs_di_sqr in -lcxsparse... yes
>   checking whether CXSparse is version 2.2 or later... no
>   configure: error: CXSparse library is too old (< version 2.2).  Upgrade
> CXSparse (SuiteSparse) or configure Octave with --disable-cxsparse"
>
> The error message is not very useful because the problem is not with the
> version of CXSparse avaialble (the available version is > 3.0), checking
> config.log I see:
>
>   configure:43472: checking whether CXSparse is version 2.2 or later
>   configure:43523: g++ -std=gnu++11 -E  -fPIC  conftest.cpp
>   conftest.cpp:96:24: fatal error: cs.h: No such file or directory
>
> So it seems the directory passed to --with-cxsparse-includedir is not
> being added to the compilation flags (while it is added when testing for,
> e.g., cholmod), indeed adding "CPPFLAGS=-I$mkSuitesparseInc" is a
> workaround for this problem.
>
> Is this a configuration bug? Does anyone know if it affects the
> development branch? Should I submit it to the tracker?

I have similar issues.
I tried to compile Suitesparse to a newer version and Sundails, but that
failed, so I restored the previous versions through Mageia's package
manager.
But since then Octave cannot find the colamd, ccolamd and other
suitsparse-related libraries, in spite of explicitly supplying the relevant
configure option.
That bites a bit as I can't make dist targets anymore for cross-building in
mxe-octave.

But I didn't pursue further as I have another build box that is still
working properly.
(Yes I compared the various libs and files on those boxes, but found no
differences so I gave up)

Philip