Website autodetect OS

From: Parsiad Azimzadeh
Subject: Website autodetect OS
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 17:13:14 +0000

Hi everyone,

I noticed that on the new Octave website (it looks quite nice, btw), there is a tabbed interface for the download links, with each tab corresponding to a particular OS.

However (for me at least) the default active tab is always GNU/Linux. It should be easy to add some JS to set the default active tab to the user's OS. See, e.g., http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7044944/jquery-_javascript_-to-detect-os-without-a-plugin. Figured this might help more users download Octave.

Also on the topic of greater user adoption, it might not be a bad idea to include package manager instructions for major distributions (e.g., Ubuntu & OS X) in the appropriate tabs.

Thanks,
Par
--
Parsiad Azimzadeh [http://parsiad.ca]