Octave-friendly version of MIDAS Matlab Toolbox

From: Allin Cottrell
Subject: Octave-friendly version of MIDAS Matlab Toolbox
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 17:17:01 -0400 (EDT)

I'm not a regular user of Octave, but I find it very useful when I have need to run Matlab code on Linux, so thank you!

I recently got interested in Eric Ghysels' MIDAS Toolbox for Matlab. This is the benchmark implementation of MIDAS (= Mixed Data Sampling, an econometric technique for using high-frequency explanatory variables to help predict a lower-frequency variable of interest). This Toolbox doesn't work "out of the box" on Octave (but, as I found from trying the free trial version of Matlab, it also doesn't work out of the box on the Linux version of Matlab).

Anyway, after some trial and error I figured out a patch for the Toolbox which lets it run on Octave (tested on 4.0.1 and 4.0.2), and have written up some documentation for this. The relevant files are at

http://users.wfu.edu/cottrell/midas/midas_octave.pdf
http://users.wfu.edu/cottrell/midas/MIDASv2.0_octave.zip

I could host this material myself, but it seems to me that if anyone more connected to the Octave community is interested in taking it over, that might be better. Just let me know and I'll be happy to hand over the keys!

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics