Re: About the "pre-built installers" on the OF website

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: About the "pre-built installers" on the OF website
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 17:29:51 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----
>From: Julien Bect
>To: octave-maintainers
>Date: 2016/7/15, Fri 15:53
>Subject: About the "pre-built installers" on the OF website
>

>Carnë, all,
>
>I was wondering about the relevance of advertising "prebuilt
    installers" directly on the OF homepage.

>http://octave.sourceforge.net/index.html
>
>-----
>
>"
>For convenience Octave-Forge supplies pre-built installers for
      Octave:

>    Windows: installers   [ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows/]
>    Mac OSX: installers
>[https://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20MacOSX%20Binary/2016-07-11-binary-octave-4.0.3/]
>    Mac OSX: install instructions
>[http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Octave_for_MacOS_X]
>"
>
>The first link points to the official Window installers, which
    actually are not provided by Octave Forge but by the Octave project
    itself.  It is redundant (and potentially misleading).

>The third link points to "Octave on Mac OS X" page on the wiki.  The
    same link is available from the official "Download GNU Octave" page
    (https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html), which is where people
should looking for info about installing Octave.

>The second link points directly to the dmg for Mac OS X, but the
    same link is readily available from "Octave on Mac OS X" page on the
    wiki.

    "prebuilt installers" from http://octave.sourceforge.net/index.html.

>@++
>Julien