glLineStipple

From: Konstantinos Poulios
Subject: glLineStipple
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 22:46:35 +0100

Hi

This is about the rendering of dashed and dash-dot lines. With the opengl plotting system being the default, maybe one could now think about the rendering quality of lines in plots and prints.

Here there are some -in my opinion- shortcomings of the current situation:

- The gaps in the dashed and dash-dot lines are too large (also compared to ML's plotting). In my personal octave build I actually replace the "0xF0F0" mask with "0xF8F8" for dashed and the "020F" mask for dash-dot lines with "0x27FF".

- The pattern doesn't scale with the linewidth. This makes very thick lines look strange when combined with some non solid line style.

- The lines have no caps, which makes especially dots look ugly (squares instead of circles).

- I have just realized that glLineStipple has been deprecated in recent versions of OpenGL.

Possible solutions:

Soon or later it will probably become necessary to go away from glLineStipple, so it might be useful to take a look at alternative and higher quality options already. For example the following work looks very interesting:
https://hal.inria.fr/hal-00907326/file/paper.pdf

and the code is also available inside a project called gl-agg:
https://github.com/rougier/gl-agg/blob/master/glagg/dash_atlas.py

The following article is also interesting to read:
http://mattdesl.svbtle.com/drawing-lines-is-hard

In any case one would also have to check what is supported by gl2ps.

Unfortunately, I don't see myself having the time to help with the coding of any new implementation soon but maybe you will find the above information useful.

Best regards
Kostas