Re: Bring Pytave into core

From: Tomasz Ożański
Subject: Re: Bring Pytave into core
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 01:34:09 +0200

> Wiadomość napisana przez Mike Miller <address@hidden> w dniu 14 kwi 2015, o
> godz. 16:19:
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 09:10:48 -0400, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>> I started looking at building Pytave. It's very crufty, and much of it
>> can be thankfully thrown out. I ran into problems with both Pytave and
>> Octave having their own config.h file. I expect there will be further
>> problems with the deprecation of the octave_map class, but these are
>> not insurmountable problems.
>>
>> This weekend is US Pycon. I'll be meeting with Mike Miller, and maybe
>> we can have an impromptu hacking session on Pytave, an appropriate
>> endeavour for Pycon. :-)
>
> Following up on this thread now that PyCon is over and we have some
> initial progress to share. We did meet and talk about pytave briefly,
> but there was not enough time for a hacking session.
>
> Jordi was kind enough to set up a repository for us to start
> collaborating on pytave, see http://hg.octave.org/pytave. I am also
> hosting my own repository at https://hg.mtmxr.com/pytave.
>
> I have pushed a series of (draft) changesets that allow pytave to
> compile against the latest Octave. It works, but segfaults when the
> python interpreter exits for now. I will make some notes about next
> steps and share that soon.
>
> Looking forward to making more progress soon,
>
> --
> mike

I would be happy to get involved in the development of the Pytave as a part of
the ESA Summer of Code in Space (for more information please have a look on the
relevant thread about SoCiS and Symbolic package).
I hope my application (available on my wiki user-page User:Ozzy) doesn’t
conflict with the work you have already done/are planning to do in the next
days.

greetings,
Tomasz