Re: A question for package maintainers still using TexInfo < 5

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: A question for package maintainers still using TexInfo < 5
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 08:41:16 -0500

On 04/23/2015 06:22 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:

The bad thing about texinfo-5 is the switch to Perl, which make it much
slower to load than texinfo-4. This has made running the test suite a
real pain, while most of the time is spent loading/running makeinfo
(that makes timing "make check" less relevant).

Oh, *that* probably explains why I stopped seeing a significant difference in performance with the atomic refcount change.

 I remember that jwe told
me at last octconf that's the/one reason he sticked to texinfo-4. Maybe
he switched to texinfo-5 since then :).

I've switched because Texinfo 5 is what is in Debian testing now. But I'm still somewhat annoyed by how long it takes to create the info format version of the Octave manual now.