GSoC 2015: improving matrix funtcions

From: Antonio Pino
Subject: GSoC 2015: improving matrix funtcions
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 18:31:06 +0100

Hello,

I have been using octave for a couple of years now for my university
courses as a replacement for That Other Software.

Last year we had the chance to take a closer look at the Moler-Van Loan
paper [1] when we studied non-linear dynamics. The exponential of a
matrix was also the basic tool we used to solve the Automatic Control
course's problems.

That said, I would like to contribute to the gnu-octave project by
improving the matrix functions as cited in the ideas[2] page.

I would like to know what is the (estimated) scope of the improvement to
be made and see whether my ''some mathematics'' level is up to the
challenge.

Thank you in advance for further suggestions.

[1] www.cs.cornell.edu/cv/researchpdf/19ways+.pdf
[2]
http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Improve_logm.2C_sqrtm.2C_funm