Re: isguirunning versus __octave_link_enabled__

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: isguirunning versus __octave_link_enabled__
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 13:22:24 -0500

On 02/18/2015 05:31 PM, Rik wrote:
2/18/15

The scripts which create a dialog window have a different behavior
depending on whether the GUI is running (Qt available) or whether the CLI
is running.  Currently the m-files in the scripts/gui directory check for
this with

if (__octave_link_enabled__ ())
  #GUI Code
else
  #CLI Code
endif

The intent of the code would be clearer, I think, if we substituted the
isguirunning() function for __octave_link_enabled__.  Does anyone have a
reason why this shouldn't be done?

--Rik

Ha, I found a message about this from August 2013 in which I replied:

You could have the link enabled but no "GUI". For example, the octave_link thing could be used to handle callbacks for some kind of front end process communicating with the Octave interpreter across a network connection.

So in some cases __octave_link_enabled__ makes sense if the next thing is to use the link, which isn't necessarily a GUI function.