GSoC 2015: Optimization Package: Non-linear and constrained least square

From: AsmaA
Subject: GSoC 2015: Optimization Package: Non-linear and constrained least squares lsqcurvefit, lsqlin, lsqnonlin
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 14:10:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I am interested in the GSoC project for implementing Nonlinear and
constrained least squares optimization problem in Octave [1].

I am studying the Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm from [2]. I have taken a
look at the levmar.c library [3]. It provides wrapper mex files to call it
from MATLAB. The FAQ indicates the author heard that the wrappers are
already Octave compatible. But he isn't sure.

I have quite a bit of experience with MATLAB but not mex/Octave.

My next step is to learn mex, call levmar.c from MATLAB and run a few
examples between lsqcurvefit/lsqnonlin and levmar.c from MATLAB and
comparing data. Then call mex from Octave and do similar.

At this point, I'd like a little feedback if I'm proceeding in the right
direction. And any pointers would be appreciated :).

Other notes:
lsqnonlin in MATLAB also supports trust-region-reflective algorithm for
optimization. But I'll initially focus on levmar support.

Thank-you.

Kind Regards
Asma Afzal
PhD Student (Electrical Engineering) University of Leeds, UK.