Re: Error building logos

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Error building logos
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 18:00:05 -0500

On 02/18/2015 05:35 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

I saw the same thing on my fedora box - it was missing rsvg-convert -
installing libsvg2-tools fixed the problem, but even though configure had
detected I didn't have that tool, it was still trying to generate the .png
files.
Perhaps related - I already the icotool installed.

Yeah, could use some work in the case where you are building from hg
and don't have the tools installed. I'll take a look at that. But
install the rsvg-convert program as John says and you should be fine.

I ended up with a zero sized octave-logo.ico file because $(ICOTOOL) wasn't defined, so it tried to run the command "create" and ignored the error about that command not being available, and then it went ahead and did the "mv file-t file" command. I was confused at first, but then realized that if $(ICOTOLL) is undefined, the command $(ICOTOOL) --create ... becomes --create ... and the leading -- is just telling make to ignore any errors from the command.

We could use the "missing" function for these commands.  Something like:

  ICOTOOL = $(SHELL) $(top_srcdir)/build-aux/missing @ICOTOOL@

in build-aux/common.mk should do it?

Also, I don't see a substitution target for ICOTOOL (i.e., @ICOTOOL@) anywhere in the sources. Am I missing something?

Similarly, the .png files were all the output of the "w" command for me, because I didn't have the rsvg convert tool.