Re: Hi-Resolution Icons

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Hi-Resolution Icons
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 16:42:19 -0800

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 16:02:59 -0800, Rik wrote:
> The second way is to base everything off the scalable icon format svg and
> create the necessary sizes algorithmically.  This is less "wasteful" of
> disk space, but it requires two new additions to the build dependencies for
> Octave: icotool and rsvg-convert.

This is my preference (obvious if you read the bug report).

As the primary proponent, let me clarify that to me it's not at all
about saving disk space. More important to me is the philosophy of only
adding true "source" files to the hg repository. In this case, the SVG
is the source, the PNG are "compiled" from the SVG. If someone decides
to update the logo later (either change it completely or add some small
detail), will they know which files to update and which tools to use to
update them? If we instead rely on build rules, it's a solved problem.

I hope that even if we do decide to check in a dozen differently sized
PNG files, we can still have a make rule or a script that tells how to
generate the PNGs from the SVG source for future reference.

Can anyone say whether Windows is happy with PNG these days and we don't
even need the ICO file anymore? In

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/RFC-icon-fix-requires-additional-tools-to-build-Octave-from-hg-tt4665545.html#a4665552

Philip wrote that he uses PNG files for launchers in Windows. Better if
we can get away with PNGs only, and no need for the icotool program.

I also notice that mxe-octave keeps a copy of octave-logo.ico in its
repository. Can NSIS use a PNG file instead? And can we copy the icon
from the Octave build directory instead of having a copy of it checked
in to mxe-octave?

--
mike