Re: GSoC 2015 mentoring organization application

From: Carlo De Falco
Subject: Re: GSoC 2015 mentoring organization application
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 09:11:46 +0000

On 11 Feb 2015, at 01:55, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:

> I really don't think this is an issue.  The problem is not too many
> students, or a low maintainers to students ratio.  The problem is the
> lack of maintainers with enough interest on the project of the students.

I totally agree with this. It could also be put differently, as:

we need maintainers who would be willing to let a student be involved with
their own high interest project directly.

> I don't know about labs of Mathematics and Computer Science, but this is
> what already happens with summer students in Biochemistry and Biology.
> Summer students often don't have their own independent project.  Instead
> they help PhD students or post-docs with their projects.  This has the
> disavantage that some students feel that they're only cheap labour.

I think we should check GSOC regulations about this part, there seems to be
be a stress on independence of the student in the GSOC description ...

c.