Re: Install munge-texi.pl for use by packages?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Install munge-texi.pl for use by packages?
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 14:46:04 -0400

On 07/07/2014 12:50 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

Yep, exactly as Carlo said, no reason for duplication, if we can
replace this with an Octave script or function, it can also be used to
build Octave's own manual as well.

I think these are great ideas, please file a wishlist bug on Octave to
replace munge-texi.pl with an equivalent Octave function that can be
used for both Octave's manual and for package manuals.

I'd like to be able to cross compile packages so that we can cross compile a complete Octave distribution that includes packages that are already built and ready to install along with Octave. Will having this script as an Octave function make that job harder?

For example, we can't currently cross compile Octave directly from the mercurial sources because doing so requires running the copy of Octave that is being built in order to create figures for the manual. And when doing a cross build, that doesn't work. I suppose that making the munge-texi script an Octave function would make that problem slightly worse because then building would fail if you modified the manual sources, not just if you modified the source file for one of the figures.

If we do go down this path, then I suppose a solution for cross compiling would be to require that we build (or use, if it is already installed on the system) a corresponding native version of Octave that can be executed on the build system to generate the figures and perform the munge-texi step.

If we are going to install this function somewhere, then perhaps it could just be an option for the pkg command? I do agree that we should find a better name for it in any case.