Re: GUI workspace variable updating

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: GUI workspace variable updating
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 10:23:45 -0500

On 06/26/2014 08:42 AM, Richard Crozier wrote:
Dear list,

I know this has been discussed already, but, in the development sources
(default branch, not gui, so apologies if it's not like this in the
gui-release branch) I notice the workspace variables update while a
calculation is running. Personally I see no need for this, especially in
light of the performance issues discussed recently.

As a GUI user I would expect variables to be available/editable under
the following circumstances:

1. In the workspace when not running a calculation
2. When debugging

I don't see any reason to update or make accessible these at other
times. They usually change too fast to look at them anyway.

I agree with this. I might add a third case when the workspace should be updated:

3. When pause() or pause(#) is executed

When the worker is running, the visible workspace variables should be half-tone to signify "indeterminate".

However, I would put the priority of this below designing a straightforward and robust way of communicating results back to the GUI. Otherwise it could be a lot of effort for short term gain. Also, the GUI should really be designed efficiently to know only the workspace variables (or elements of some array/structure) that are visible on the screen so that it isn't doing all type of work to update GUI objects not even seen (which could be a lot). At this point, it is probably better to live with the slot-machine visual effect as a reminder of things to be done still.

Dan