Re: undefined compound chaining behavior

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: undefined compound chaining behavior
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 13:06:42 -0400

On 06/13/2014 12:52 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

I would prefer option 1, add a note to the manual similar to what I
suggested earlier in this thread, something along the lines of

---
   An expression of the form

        EXPR1 OP= EXPR2

   is evaluated as

        EXPR1 = (EXPR1) OP (EXPR2)

   as long as EXPR2 is a simple expression with no side effects. If EXPR2
   also contains an assignment operator, then this expression is
   evaluated as

        temp = EXPR2
        EXPR1 = (EXPR1) OP temp

   where 'temp' is a placeholder temporary value storing the computed
   result of evaluating EXPR2.

This description looks good to me and also has the advantage of being the simplest change. :-)