Re: Segmentation Fault with Octave MXE under Windows

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Segmentation Fault with Octave MXE under Windows
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 11:09:10 -0500

On 06/04/2014 04:31 AM, ijourneaux wrote:
This is the bug report associated with this topic.

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41699<https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41699>

I tried navigating up the backtrace to see where the problem was
originating. The segfault goes through

symbol_table::erase_scope (local_scope);

which has a "// FIXME: this is really playing with fire." at line 236.
Useful info or just a red herring?

Not sure. local_scope is assigned the value "sid" which is passed into the routine. If the procedure is that octave_user_function assumes control and cleanup of the function table for that scope, then it's fine. But if some other part of the code is still using those parts of the function table then it is a problem. Cleanup should be done elsewhere. erase_scope() in symtab.h ensures the scope is local.

The comment isn't very helpful because it doesn't provide a hint why it's playing with fire. The only other problem I could see if the local function in question is the function itself due to some type of recursive call, but I doubt that.

Try commenting out the line in question:

    // FIXME: this is really playing with fire.
//    symbol_table::erase_scope (local_scope);    //Line 236

That's not a solution, but if it doesn't fix the segfault, then the likelihood is that isn't the problem in this case.

Dan