Re: Octave on Android

From: jcordeiro
Subject: Re: Octave on Android
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 09:26:01 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Corbin Champion.

I have my doubts if you can legally call what you are doing as any form of
distribution, and then charge for it.

But there are 2 clear moral issues on this package.

The first one is that you clearly mislead the user to think this is a free
app.
It is marked as "free" in Google app store.
There is "but free (as in freedom) software" on the description.

Then you say "A fee is required for the use of this app, but you pay what
you want/what you can."
Well, Mr Corbin... I want to pay 1 cent, not one dollar...
But you wont let me...
So this line is a clear lie.

I understand that you need cash. Every one does.
But do it honestly.

You should list your app with a 1 Dollar price on the app store, and then
ask for a donation starting at 0 cents.

This way the user is informed that the minimal payment is 1 dollar.

And if you want to release a 10 try trail. Then do it as every other app
developer does, with a different app.