ESA SOCIS 2014 - Agora website

From: Pedro Gaudêncio
Subject: ESA SOCIS 2014 - Agora website
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 18:01:41 +0200

Hi there!

I tried to send this email 5 days ago but maybe I was not yet subscribed in the maintainers' list and it's still in moderation; anyway, here it goes again. Hope I'm not late!

I'm a Computer Science student from University of Evora, Portugal. I found "Finishing the Agora website" project idea interesting and I want to know more details.

I understood that there are already some ratings and comments modules working on the production website; about the comments, the purpose would be adding the threads? I haven't seen in detail the rating system, but I'll clone the project and check the database structure. You gave the SciPy website as an example, I find it very alike the Agora one and I'm sure their code is reusable. What are the main features to be added? Is there any detailed description for each one?

My main area of interest is programming, I'm very comfortable with web development and database design. Some background:

- I often work with Django and Flask, JQuery, HTML and CSS (almost everyday), and JSON generation - in the beggining of this year I've developed an informative application using Django for my university research and PhDs department (IIFA)  where the main goal was to develop a completly dinamic web platform, based on their Adobe Flash app (that was fully static and non-functional), a project from my university research center (CITI) where I'm envolved since 2011. There, I also developed an application to manage cattlebreeding/farming and reproduction and another to manage university events, both using Django.

- Last year I participated in GSoC with an idea for adding functionalities to CERN's Indico abstract editor to be able to accept LaTeX and Markdown/MathJax formulas to generate HTML and PDF compiled outputs; you can check my code on this project and here's a python markdown-to-latex extension I ended up upgrading (it was out of date since 2009) so I would generate pdfs from markdown, I spoke with its author and after reviewing it he merged it with the main code; it felt great to contribute.

- This contributions granted me an internship at CERN as a Technical Student, in which I'm enrolled since March, my work as been mainly in Flask (a Python framework very similar to Django) and _javascript_, here are some examples of my latest contributions to Invenio Software and to Inspire.

- Here are my BitBucket and GitHub repositories, in which I have some of my projects.

All of my projects are integrated with git, although I never worked with mercurial, I'm pretty agile working using a revision control manager. I also write my school reports and documentation in LaTeX and learned Markdown and MathJax in my GSoC last year, so I'm familiarized with document markup language. I have experience with Java and C as well and I use Linux for 7 years, my current distribution is Debian.

I'm really sorry for the long writing, but I feel better to present some background and get to know the project better before submitting the application.

Cheers,
Pedro