Trying to install the java package.

From: Geoffry Roberts
Subject: Trying to install the java package.
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 16:08:39 -0400

All,

What can I do?

I have just installed the binary version of Octave on my OSX machine. Following the instructions, I checked for the java package

>> pkg list

showed java 1.2.9 was installed

I tried

>> s = javaObject ("java.lang.String", "Hello OctaveString")

error: javaObject: Octave was not compiled with Java interface

I did

>> pkg uninstall java

>> setenv ("JAVA_HOME", "/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_55.jdk/Contents/Home")

>> pkg install -forge java

Error while trying to install Java package:

JAVA_HOME environment variable does not properly point to a JDK

  Hint:

  JAVA_HOME should usually be set such that either:

  (on *nix:)

    <JAVA_HOME>/jre/lib/<arch>/client/ contains libjvm.so (file or symlink)

  (on OSX:)

    <JAVA_HOME>/../Libraries/ contains a file libclient.dylib

I did the following because it is the only jdk I have installed that has libclient.dylib in it:

>> setenv ("JAVA_HOME", "/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Libraries")

Then I did:

>> pkg install -forge java

./configure: line 3257: test: -n: integer _expression_ expected

configure: WARNING: this package requires at least Java-1.5

warning: function /Users/gcr/octave/java-1.2.9/errordlg.m shadows a core library function

But when I try:

>> s = javaObject ("java.lang.String", "Hello OctaveString")

error: javaObject: Octave was not compiled with Java interface

I'm back to where I started from.

What can I do?  Is there a manual install I can do?

I have:

OSX 10.9.2
java 1.7.0_55
octave 3.8.0

Thanks is advance

--
My software always runs perfectly in the end. If it is not yet perfect, it is not yet the end.

Geoffry Roberts