RE: Windows installer

From: John D
Subject: RE: Windows installer
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 09:45:41 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: John W. Eaton [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2014 7:43 AM
To: John Donoghue; Michael Goffioul
Subject: Windows installer

John and Michael,

The latest Windows installer looks good.  Thanks for all the work you've
been doing on this project.  Do you think it is ready to release?  Or do you
think we should wait until we can include compiled Octave Forge packages in
the installer?  I don't think that's necessary, though I'm sure people will
complain about it since previous installers did include them, plus other
things like a selection of accelerated BLAS options.

Should we make the GUI the default on Windows?  I expect that's what most
Windows users will want.

Jwe

----

I have shortcuts created for both GUI and command line.
Since both are there, perhaps instead on making one 'default' should we make
it clearer of command line vs GUI mode on the shortcuts.

Rather than automatically starting the GUI after install (and having to
decide what to make 'default') remove the run octave option from the GUI (I
dont know about everyone else, but I always uncheck the run program option
whenever installing something new) Anyone else?

I thought about the compiled packages for a while and I think it is going to
be hard to do on a cross build system - the easier way to do this will be
create the compiled packages on a native machine and then include them as
binaries in the cross build system. Otherwise either tell the user there are
packages in the source directory, or provide the option in the installer to
compile the packages at the end of the install ?