Re: alternatives for funding

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: alternatives for funding
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 22:55:04 -0600

On 12/12/2013 01:51 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
Okay, which part of your plan do you want to work on? Would you like
to work on improving the commercial Octave web page or figuring out
how much to charge for Octave? Do you want to conduct market research
to see where the money is and how we can get it? Do you want to ask
the Scilab guys how much money they're making and how?

I'm talking with the FSF guys now on the support contract that will
convince your boss to give us money.

I don't think the FSF, as a tax exempt charity in the US, is allowed to accept donations that are contracts for specific work.

Further, I'm not sure that the Octave community is the right place to go for paid support. If people want to start a company to provide support for pay, that's a separate issue. But we have no formal business structure set up for this purpose and that's not what the FSF is set up to do either.

If you are interested in working out a support contact with me, then please contact me directly. I understand that Felipe would like to have a simple way to pay $X for a support contract and I have considered offering something like that but have not done so for various reasons that I'd rather discuss privately, not on this list.