Re: Cygwin build of documentation

From: Pascal Dupuis
Subject: Re: Cygwin build of documentation
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 12:33:59 +0100

2013/12/5 Rik <address@hidden>:
> The files octave_logo.eps and octave_logo.pdf are not generated; They are
> under source control and distributed in the tarball so they are present
> before any call to create octave.dvi.  I would guess that there is a path
> problem and Texinfo is not searching in the correct directory.  Maybe try
> changing directory to doc/interpreter and try running 'make octave.pdf' to
> see if that helps.

Found the issue. Generating octave.pdf requires epsf.tex, which is
located under /usr/share/texmf, which is by default not searched by
texlive (I installed the 'basic' and 'latex' texlive sub-packages).

So I modified /usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c in such a way that the
variable TEXMFLOCAL became
TEXMFLOCAL = $TEXMFROOT/texmf-site:$TEXMFROOT/texmf

ran mktexlsr, and doc generated fine.

In order to compile octave and generate documentation under cygwin:
1) fix tex search path by editing
/usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf and run mktexlsr
2) start compilation; when it fails on eps file, do a 'make install';
it will break once again on the same eps file
3) change run-octave by
#!/bin/sh
$PREFIX/usr/bin/octave "@*"
4) re-run "make install" once again, doc will be generated and
installation will succeed.

Regards

Pascal