Re: Abusing XTRA_CXXFLAGS

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Abusing XTRA_CXXFLAGS
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 18:09:42 -0400

On 10/30/2013 11:45 AM, Rik wrote:
10/30/13

All,

Someone may know why were doing this, otherwise I think it should change.

The build variable XTRA_CXXFLAGS is mostly used for machine-dependent
compiler flags necessary to guarantee IEEE numeric behavior.  However,
configure.ac is also adding in LLVM_CPPFLAGS, FreeType CPPFLAGS, etc.
Since XTRA_CXXFLAGS are added to every C++ compile it means that really
low-level numeric stuff like liboctave/array/ is being compiled with '-I'
includes for FreeType.  It would seem better to move these very specific
flags out of the general compile command and use them only for the file or
Autotool sub-library that needs them.

I agree that we should only use extra flags where they are needed.

Is this just evolutionary cruft left over from previous versions of
configure.ac

Yes, like so many other things in Octave.

I think the idea behind this was that I needed a place to collect these additional flags and they couldn't just be added to CFLAGS or CXXFLAGS because those are supposed to be left for the user to define. That was long before automake and it worked well enough in beginning. If there is a better way now, then let's use it.