Re: Another FLTK/gnuplot divergence

From: Michael D. Godfrey
Subject: Re: Another FLTK/gnuplot divergence
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 12:40:12 -0400

On 09/27/2013 02:26 PM, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
* Mike Miller <address@hidden> [2013-09-27 11:57]:

Yes, the build *must* be able to complete and produce valid documentation without any display, without even an X server running, to work in automated or minimal build environments for example.

Not to mention I don't want to see things flashing on my display :)

On my Debian system with the xvfb package installed, I am able to run the following:

  $ Xvfb :5 -screen 0 800x600x24 &
  $ echo 'graphics_toolkit ("fltk"); plot (randn (10, 1)); print -dpdf test.pdf' | DISPLAY=:5 octave -q

This will produce the file test.pdf without any window flashing on my screen, which is not the case with:

  $ echo 'graphics_toolkit ("fltk"); plot (randn (10, 1)); print -dpdf test.pdf' | octave -q

Rafael

This is very good.  It works, with minor mods due to my use of tcsh as my shell, on Fedora 19.

So, this means that a suitable function can be written to provide turning the display of plots
on or off.  Do systems other than Linux provide the equivalent of Xvfb?

One step closer to using fltk for the Manual.

Great.  Thanks.

Michael