Re: Vector Projection .m file

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Vector Projection .m file
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 12:59:57 -0500

On 06/12/2013 03:11 PM, Erickson, David wrote:
Hello;

Here is a vector projection .m file to compute the projection of x onto y.  As
it is derivative of your source code, it is returned to you under GPL 3.

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure what you have is derivative source code, so it probably isn't necessary to abide by the license. What you've written only looks to the extent of utilizing the language. If what you have written came from someone else's script file, then it should acknowledge the original author as well.

Also I'm not sure abiding by the license means sending a copy to the original author. I think it falls more along the lines that if you distribute a derivative work you must make the changes you've done available. For example, if I were to take the source code for project Foo and then write SuperFoo and distribute that, then I would need to post the modifications or indicate where the modifications can be gotten from. That way anyone (not just the original author) has access.

As for the usefulness of a projection routine in the general sense, it probably falls in that category of perhaps not enough beyond basic linear algebra to warrant it. I'll write separately with more specifics.

Dan