Re: Octave 3.6.4-rc2 release candidate available for ftp

From: Michael D. Godfrey
Subject: Re: Octave 3.6.4-rc2 release candidate available for ftp
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 19:36:41 -0500

On 02/11/2013 07:11 PM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 4:35 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:

Please help make the 3.6.4 release a success by building from this
release candidate and reporting any problems.  We could especially use
reports for Windows and OS X systems.

jwe

I got :

octave:1> graphics_toolkit ("fltk")
octave:2> plot (randn(10))
XOpenIM() failed
octave:3>
I have seen this too.  And, a look on the web shows that other
applications are seeing this problem.  There seems to be more
than one cause.  I noticed that as root the problem goes away.
And, if you set the environment variable LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose
you can see a bit more detail.  The problem seems to be with
OpenGL and xorg and nouveau.  It appears that there is nothing
to be done within Octave (short of not using OpenGL) that can
fix the problem.

I have not seen this (XOpenIM() failed) message before.
The plot looks OK though...
Subsequent plots (withing the same octave session)
do not produce this message.

Fedora 18 / x86_64 / NVidia graphics card w/ nvidia driver.

Otherwise looks OK so far.

Dmitri.