Subscribe maintainers list to the bug/patch tracker [was "Patch to make

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Subscribe maintainers list to the bug/patch tracker [was "Patch to make common octave_dock_widget class"]
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 18:40:04 +0000

On 7 February 2013 13:56, c. <address@hidden> wrote:
> The trackers seem like a very good place to store contributions but not as
> good for carrying on the discussion about them.

Why is it not a good place to carry a discussion about a bug? It's
very self contained, no one can change the subject line and get the
discussion split into multiple threads, keeps an history, and anyone
not on the mailing list can easily be added to the notifications. It's
the perfect place to carry the discussion about a specific bug. It was
designed for that purpose.

And people who are interested in discussing them, can easily subscribe
the whole tracker, as easily as they subscribe to the maintainers
mailing list.

https://savannah.gnu.org/mail/?group=octave

My opinion is against subscribing the maintainers mailing list to the
trackers. Instead, developers should be motivated to subscribe to the
trackers, discussion of bugs and patches on the mailing list should be
directed to the trackers with the same argument that we use to move
discussions about development from the help list to the maintainers
list. Because that's where they belong.

Carnë