Re: Add tool tip to the file name tabs

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Add tool tip to the file name tabs
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 14:46:56 -0600

On 01/28/2013 12:23 PM, Torsten wrote:
On 28.01.2013 01:52, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
Torsten,

I see you were just working on the file name in the GUI/IDE editor tabs.
  Please consider adding this patch

https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?7933

that sets a tool tip to the full-length file name if the file name is
all that is displayed.  With that, there is the option to have condensed
names in the tabs (i.e., more tabs visible) yet get the full path name
via an easy move of the cursor.

Thanks,

Dan

good idea, thank you for the patch. Pushed with changeset
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/1eb3c67139f6

Torsten

You're welcome, and thanks.

The tool tip could be a useful feature to add something to the GUI/IDE beyond just piecing things together. Here are some initial thoughts:

* I could imagine in the Workspace window positioning the cursor over some variable displays the contents of the variable, but in a more detailed way than does the current Workspace tree. (It would have to be done by overriding the tool tip function, because some variables could be a big matrix and dumping all kinds of text to a tool tip that is unlikely to get used is wasted CPU.)

* I can also imagine a right click menu option where the variable is opened in some kind of matrix display/edit--sort of like a spreadsheet format where individual elements of the matrix could be edited. Think about it. Say one has a 20x20 or 30x30 matrix and wants to see the effect of changing some quantity. Well, the way it is now, one displays the contents then has to look at the pager output and sort of count columns and rows, which isn't easy when only a portion is visible at a time. On the other hand a spreadsheet of values could display column/row in addition to direct editing.

* Also, in the Workspace there could be color coding of variables whereby one runs an Octave command and if after that command or series of commands is a change to the variable, it's color changes.

So, there are some Summer Of Coding possibilities there.

Dan