Re: Improving Octave Image Processing Package -- Academic Project

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Improving Octave Image Processing Package -- Academic Project
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 11:41:27 +0000

On 2 January 2013 04:55, Sivahari Nandakumar <address@hidden> wrote:
> I also like to focus on the image package missing functions and
> functionalities. I only have very basic ideas in Image Processing. I studied
> a paper Digital Image Processing in my 1st semester in which i have gone
> through the basics of image representation, image transforms, edge
> detection, image restoration, image segmentation, Color and multispectral
> image processing, image compression etc.

That's very very broad. We have missing functions in all those fields.
If you want me to recommend you something that I believe to be an easy
task, fit for start, I'd say to try and implement structururing
element decomposition. This is being done in the getsequence method of
the strel class. The idea is that it's faster to perform a sequence of
erosions or dilations with small structuring elements than a single
with a large one.

Erosion and dilation are the basis of image morphology hence I'd
recommend these. You could then try and implement erosino and dilation
for grayscale images. These are just recommendations, you should be
working in whatever attracts you the most.

Carnë