Re: Backslashes in regular expression replacement patterns

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Backslashes in regular expression replacement patterns
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 13:41:34 -0400

On 17-Oct-2012, Rik wrote:

| I imagine making a
| special case in the parser to not do double quote escape processing for a
| single function might be difficult (any ideas jwe?).

Yeah, we can't do that.

| If that is the case
| then I think I will keep the current behavior of two rounds of expansion
| and just document it.

One issue is that what we are currently doing with unrecognized escape
sequences might not be the best behavior.  Should we convert \$ in a
double quote string to $ (with or without warning) or leave it as is
(two characters) or just make it an error?  Leaving it as two
characters could cause trouble for the undo_string_escapes function.
For example, then undo_string_escapes ("\$") would return "\\$".  Is
that the correct result?  Will it cause trouble?