Re: deprecating ols, gls

From: Rik
Subject: Re: deprecating ols, gls
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 11:54:30 -0700

On 09/27/2012 08:27 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 11:27:48 -0400
> From: Jordi Guti?rrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
> To: Octave Maintainers List <address@hidden>
> Subject: Deprecating ols and gls
>
> Any objection to deprecating ols and gls? They are both easily
> replaceable by other Octave functions. The backslash operator already
> does least squares.
9/27/12

Jordi,

I like them.  It's true that a backslash operator would *generally* do the
same thing, but if you take a look inside ols.m you will see that the
algorithm is actually a fair bit more complicated than just a simple
backslash operator.  I wouldn't want to have to type all the code that is
there every time I did an ols.

--Rik