help messages about bootstrap

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: help messages about bootstrap
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:51:11 -0400

  Since we have changed from using automake.sh  to bootstrap there are places in the wiki and octave's web pages that need to be updated.

I just went through the fun os setting up a new ubuntu 12.04  computer and tried to compile from Mercurial sources.

This is what I remember of my experience ( hopefully I did miss anything). I think we need to update the wiki and other pges to reflect the new reality.

To compile octave now you need qt and other things so here is what I saw.
Any help refining this is most welcome.

To Build from Mercurial Sources on a new install of Ubuntu12.04.1

To build newer releases of octave some extra packages are needed.
 Next some extra compilation instructions are given.

To compile software in your Ubuntu system, install the essential tools.
   $ sudo apt-get install build-essential
After these you can proceed to get the dependencies.

Even though it says 3.2 it is also used for the later versions of octave.
   $ sudo apt-get build-dep octave3.2

   $ sudo apt-get install bison libfontconfig-dev

   $ sudo apt-get install gnuplot

   $ sudo apt-get install mercutial

   $ sudo apt-get install git

   $ sudo apt-get  install libtool

   $ sudo apt-get  install automake

   $ sudo apt-get install qtcreator

   $ sudo apt-get install libqscintilla2-8 libqscintilla2-dev

Now create a folder to work with octave.
CD to this folder.

Now download the source files.

    $ hg clone http://www.octave.org/hg/octave

now in the repository folder

    ./bootstrap
    ./configure
    make -j6   # this will use up to 6 cores in the cpu.
    make check  # to look for errors.
    ./run-octave   # To try the new version

--
DAS