Re: NOTPARALLEL rule for documentation directory

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: NOTPARALLEL rule for documentation directory
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 02:06:28 -0500

(http://www.mail-archive.com/pld-cvs-commit%40lists.pld-linux.org/msg200381.html)
| where Linux distribution maintainers were adding the .NOTPARALLEL directive
| on their own to the 3.2.3 Makefiles.  They claim that the texi2XXX commands
| (texi2dvi, texi2pdf) were not parallel-safe.

OK, I see that since texinfo 4.9, released June 29, 2007, texi2dvi
(and texi2pdf, since that is just a wrapper for texi2dvi --pdf) have
an option for specifying the build directory.  Since that has been
available for more than 5 years, I think it is reasonable to use it.

I checked in the following change.

   http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/e787ba62aacf

Does it work for you?

I built what was at the tip, which included Mike's changeset push.

I'm not seeing the errors of "missing abc.txt" as before, and the *.txt files appear in <build>/doc/interpreter.

These files still reside in <source>/doc/interpreter

octave.info
octave.info-1
octave.info-2
octave.info-3
octave.info-4
octave.info-5
octave.info-6
octave.info-7
stamp-vti
version.texi

There are also these empty directories in <build>/doc/interpreter:

texi2dvi-build.30569
texi2pdf-build.31428

I am seeing some messages in the error/warning output stream that I don't recall. The following WARNING tagged messages were not in the output stream previously:

Makefile:2630: warning: overriding recipe for target `check'
Makefile:2212: warning: ignoring old recipe for target `check'
configure: WARNING: LLVM_CONFIG not set. The experiential JIT feature is disabled. configure: WARNING: FFTW3 library not found. The slower FFTPACK library will be used instead. configure: WARNING: FFTW3F library not found. The slower FFTPACK library will be used instead. configure: WARNING: FLTK config script not found. Native graphics will be disabled. configure: WARNING: LLVM_CONFIG not set. The experiential JIT feature is disabled. configure: WARNING: FFTW3 library not found. The slower FFTPACK library will be used instead. configure: WARNING: FFTW3F library not found. The slower FFTPACK library will be used instead. configure: WARNING: FLTK config script not found. Native graphics will be disabled.
configure: WARNING:
configure: WARNING: I didn't find the necessary libraries to compile native
configure: WARNING: graphics.  It isn't necessary to have native graphics,
configure: WARNING: but you will need to have gnuplot installed or you won't
configure: WARNING: be able to use any of Octave's plotting commands
configure: WARNING:
Makefile:2630: warning: overriding recipe for target `check'
Makefile:2212: warning: ignoring old recipe for target `check'
Makefile:2630: warning: overriding recipe for target `check'
Makefile:2212: warning: ignoring old recipe for target `check'

Is configure being run at the start of make?

Also, the following may have been present previously, but I don't remember them:

../../octave/liboctave/sparse-base-chol.h:56:9: warning: 'info' may be used uninitialized in this function
../../octave/liboctave/eigs-base.cc:406:19: note: 'info' was declared here

The messages appear right before the documentation is built. I lost a bunch of messages in the middle so I can't tell if those were the only "info" related warnings.

Dan