Re: using a push parser to connect Octave to a GUI

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: using a push parser to connect Octave to a GUI
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 20:51:25 -0500

On 29-Jan-2012, Søren Hauberg wrote:

| lør, 28 01 2012 kl. 22:28 -0500, skrev John W. Eaton:
| > Without a terminal widget, and using Octave this way, we
| > would not be able to use GNU readline.  OTOH, it might not be that
| > difficult to emulate enough readline keybindings to satisfy most GUI
| > users of Octave.
|
| A few random comments / questions:
|
| I don't quite understand what this means. I understand that readline
| would not be used in the GUI, but would the command line interface not
| be able to use it either?

No, readline would still be used in the tty version.  The code that I
sent out yesterday does that, but it uses a push parser for both the
tty and gui modes.  However, Bison can also generate push and pull
style parsers for the same grammar file, so it would be possible to
have the tty interface use readline in the same way that it does now.

| I think for the GUI it would be just fine to only reimplement a few of
| the readline features, but for the command line interface I think
| loosing readline would be a large loss.

It turns out that this is not necessary as it is possible to use
readline in a different way.  See my response to Rik's message.