Re: what to do about dependencies?

From: Dr. Alexander Klein
Subject: Re: what to do about dependencies?
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 21:06:21 +0100

Am 06.01.2012 um 18:37 schrieb Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:

> I don't know if building itself is complicated any more than it is for
> any other program using the GNU build system. I think the biggest
> complaint is that it takes too long.

Jordi,

my biggest complaint has become the incredible amounts of RAM that g++ uses.

On my MacBook which has 4GiB, I can run make -j 4, and although the machine has
only 2 cores it's still faster than make -j 2, because less time is spent in
iowait.

On my Mac Mini, however, which has the same CPU but only 2GiB this is just
impossible, because 4 g++ processes cause massive page thrashing.

> Admittedly, it may be gcc's fault.

I'm afraid you're right there ...

- Alex

--
          Dr. Alexander Klein, Diplom-Mathematiker

Physiologisches Institut       |               TransMIT Zentrum
Raum 543                       |        für Numerische Methoden
Aulweg 129                     |          Heinrich-Buff-Ring 44
35392 Giessen                  |                  35392 Giessen