A more comprehensive braindead mode?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: A more comprehensive braindead mode?
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 23:35:23 -0500

Re bug #35236:

    https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?35236

I was thinking today... there's been more than one instance in recent
memory where we have to go chasing after some weird Matlab behaviour.
I always feel a little resentful whenever we have to make Octave
stupider because Matlab is.

Why not have a flag for all of this (pardon my candid language) crap?
We already have some of it with --braindead or --traditional flags.
Can't we keep using that flag to implement more weird Matlab behaviour
and use it consistently?

We could even conceivably have a --matlab-me-harder or --pedantic flag
that does things like error out when you index a temporary or error
out when you attempt to define a function outside of a function file.

For all the people for whom the point of Octave is "Matlab without a
price tag", this would be useful. It would also make me a little
happier if I had to type --braindead to enable it (everyone else can
type --traditional, if they prefer).

- Jordi G. H.