Re: Is FLTK the default toolkit for 3.6.0?

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Is FLTK the default toolkit for 3.6.0?
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 06:34:22 +0900 (JST)

Hello

--- On Thu, 2011/12/1, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso  wrote:

> On 24 November 2011 02:04, John W. Eaton  wrote:
> > On 23-Nov-2011, Rik wrote:
> >
> > | Are we upgrading the FLTK toolkit to be the default plotting engine?  If
> > | yes, then a bunch of FLTK bugs on the tracker probably become blockers.
> > | For example, segfaulting when values larger than bitmax ('single') are
> > used
> > | or the fact that reported mouse coordinates are not accurate.
> >
> > If making the OpenGL+FLTK graphics the default turns these bugs into
> > blockers, then I don't think we want to make the switch.  I don't know
> > how to fix these problems, and since some of the reports are months
> > old, I don't see them being fixed quickly.  I don't want to wait
> > months for a release because of this.
>
> Do we have any objective way to measure if right now fltk is better or
> worse than gnuplot? Of course both are buggy because both are bits of
> software, but I do think it's time to take the plunge. It's only about
> changing a default and getting more bug reports about OpenGL where we
> can actually do something to fix it and fewer about some odd
> peculiarity of gnuplot that varies by gnuplot version and platform.
>
> I say we take the plunge.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

The fltk print bug has not been solved on MinGW although the extensive effort
by
Ben Abbott.
"Cannot print in emf form in fltk printing (MinGW)"
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?31976

The emf printing is important for windows user so that this bug should be
solved, I think.

***************
octave:3> fplot ("[cos(x), sin(x)]", [0, 2*pi])
octave:4> print -debug test1.emf
pstoedit command: '"c:\Program Files\pstoedit/pstoedit.exe" -f fig 2> NUL'
fig2dev command: 'c:\Programs\fig2dev/fig2dev.exe -L emf 2> NUL'
fltk-pipeline: '"c:\Program Files\pstoedit/pstoedit.exe" -f fig 2> NUL |
c:\Programs\fig2dev/fig2dev.exe -L emf 2> NUL > test1.emf'
Created test1.emf is empty.

Hello Michael.  Can you test on the MSVC ?

Regards

Tatsuro

Regards
Tatsuro